All the excitement of an exploding card is in the folded insert. When the card is opened, the insert unfolds to a larger size than the card revealing the message or image inside. They are great for large events where lots of people want to sign the card.
1. Start with a large, square piece of heavy paper. To determine the size, decide on how big you want your finished card to be and then double it. For example, I wanted a 51/2" x 51/2" card, so my paper measures 11" x 11". If you want a 4" x 4" card then you will need an 8" x 8" piece of paper, if you want a 6" x 6" card then you will need a 12" x 12" piece of paper, and so on.
2. Stamp your sentiment and any decorative elements you want. I need plenty of room for people to write messages in my card so I only printed a Happy Birthday greeting in the centre.
3. Time to start folding! Begin by bringing the bottom right hand corner up to the top left hand corner, creating a diagonal fold.
4. Open it out again then bring the bottom left hand corner up to the top right hand corner creating another diagonal fold. Press firmly with your bone folder.
5. You'll now have two diagonal valley folds on your insert.
6. Turn your insert over so the words are face down on your desk. Fold it horizontally by bringing the bottom edge up to meet the top edge as shown below. Open it out once again.
7. Now take the two side edges and press them toward each other. Your insert will fold along the lines you created to form a triangle shape.
8. Fold the points of the triangle to the centre of the insert, as shown in the photos below. Use the previous folds as measuring guides.
9. Fold the other point in the same manner, then flip the insert over and do it again on the other side.
10. Open your insert to reveal all the fold lines you created.
11. Pinch each corner and fold toward the centre creating a mountain fold.
12. Now fold the insert. The paper should bend along all the creases you made.
13. Now we're ready to adhere it inside the card blank. Apply some double sided tape to both sides of the insert as shown in the photos below.
14. Measure and mark the centre point on the inside of your card.
15. Adhere the insert into your card, lining the point up with the centre mark and keeping the edges of the insert flush with the edges of the card.
16. Adhere the other side by removing the tape and closing the card.
17. Decorate the front of your card, double checking that the orientation of the insert is correct... you don't want it to be upside down!
Stamps: Beccy's Place
Photographs and written instructions are copyright Beccy Muir
All rights reserved